Henley Road Cemetery


Henley Road Cemetery was first opened in 1914 by the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Ludlow.
When Ludlow Borough Council ceased to exist in 1967 the Cemetery was passed to Ludlow Rural District Council and thereafter to South Shropshire District Council.
On the 1st April 1987 Henley Road Cemetery was transferred to Ludlow Town Council to be owned and managed locally for the benefit of the people of Ludlow.

Cemetery Records


Information on the cemetery is held within the Cemetery Registers, which are hand written records of burials from the cemetery's opening in 1914 through to today. Each burial plot has its own record including grave purchaser, address and price at date of purchase; burials interred, date of burial and age of deceased. Members of the public are welcome to view the Cemetery Registers at The Guildhall, Mill Street, Ludlow by appointment with the Cemetery Officer, who can also provide assistance in locating burials.

Some of the oldest registers were recently restored to ensure their continued availability to the Council and public as working documents and reference material. 

 

Cemetery Layout



The cemetery is made up of multiple areas, divided by paths, which include areas dedicated to different denominations, cremated remains plots and a babies memorial area, which is commemorated by a hand carved stone memorial.

 

Henley Road Chapel


In the centre of the Cemetery we have a small Chapel, that is avaliable for funerals, memorials and all other types of service. 
In order to preserve the tranquil feel of the chapel setting as a place where the memory of a persons loved ones can be treasured, visitors to the chapel are asked to adhere to a few basic guidelines which can be found in the Links at the bottom of the page.

Chapel

 

 

 

 

 

 

Henley Road Cemetery Leaflet 


A leaflet has been created to help aid visitors to the cemetery in finding the correct grave, other facilities such as toiltes and taps, as well as providing useful information.

You can pick a leaflet up on site at Henley Road Cemetery, The town Council Offices located at Mill Street or you can view an electronic version by clicking the link below.

For any other enquries please contact

Charlie our Cemetery Officer

Tel: 07779121590

email: charlotte.ambrazas@ludlow.gov.uk


A scene depicting the cemetary site

War Grave Commission


Ludlow has ten war graves at Henley Road Cemetery (known as Henley New Cemetery).

The condition of the graves are inspected on a three year cycle, the next being due in 2021. The graves are also cleaned by a maintenance team on a two year cycle – the next visit is due during 2021. For more information on Henley Road Cemetary War Graves please click the link below.

Press Here >

Photographs of Henley Road CemetEry