Help develop Ludlow's community and become a councillor, applications are open!
The resignation of Councillor Laurie as a Councillor for Gallows Bank Ward caused a Notice of Casual Vacancy to be submitted to Shropshire Council Elections, who have confirmed that there has been no request to hold an election.
In these circumstances, Ludlow Town Council invites applications for co-option onto the Council.
Ludlow has an active town council, and councillors make a real difference in Ludlow. The council has recently installed a new bus shelter in Sandpits Road; throwlines were installed at the Linney Riverside Park and Dinham Millennium Green; completed internal and external refurbishment works to the grade I listed Guildhall; completed internal refurbishment of the grade I listed Museum at the Buttercross and repairs to Buttercross shop window; completed phase I upgrading of Ludlow market canopies; agreed a new twenty-year lease for Wigley’s Field Allotments; asked Shropshire Council to create a new Town Green at Sidney Road; and installed a teen shelter at Wheeler Road Skate Park.
The town council also runs local services that include Ludlow’s 48-pitch market, which is open six days a week, street trading, maintaining the public toilets, and hosting the local museum at the Buttercross. It also manages Henley Road cemetery, The Linney Riverside Park, and other open spaces.
The work of councillors is vital to the success of the town council and includes:
- Engaging with local people, groups, and businesses to find out their needs;
- Making decisions on the services and projects the council should take forward;
- Getting involved to ensure services are meeting the community’s needs.
Being a councillor is a position of responsibility, the Local Government Act 1972, Section 79, sets out the qualifications for standing as a candidate and the grounds for disqualification of a candidate.
On the day of co-option, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union, and
- Meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
a) Your name must appear on the register of local government electors for the parish/community at the time of your nomination and throughout your term of office should you be elected.
b) You have occupied any land or other premises as owner or tenant in the parish/community during 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.
c) Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in the parish/community area. You do not have to have paid employment to qualify, as long as your main or only place of work is in the parish/community area. For example, Councillors who’s main or only job is being a councillor would be able to use this qualification, if their council office is within the parish/community.
d) You have lived in the parish/community area or within three miles of it during 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.
You are disqualified as a candidate if:
- You are employed by the parish/community council or hold a paid office under the parish/community council (including joint boards or committees).
- You have been declared bankrupt in the last five years and have not repaid your debts.
- You have been convicted of a criminal offence and sentenced to at least three months imprisonment (including any suspended sentence) within the previous five years.
- You are disqualified due to corrupt practices under the Representation of the People Act 1983 or the Audit Commission Act.
- Candidates canvassing members of Council for co-option will be disqualified from standing for the vacancy.
If you are eligible and wish to be considered for co-option as Councillor for Gallows Bank Ward, Ludlow, please complete the application form available on Ludlow Town Council’s website www.ludlow.gov.uk and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th July 2023.
Ludlow Town Council will hold a Co-option meeting on 31st July 2023.
Candidates will be required to attend. Further details of the meeting will be supplied in due course.
Staffing Committee Agenda - 26th September
The Staffing Committee will take place Tuesday 26th September, 9:30am at the Guildhall…
Plumbing quotes required
Can you provide us with a plumbing quote? We're looking for quotes from local plumbers to carry out …
Full Council Agenda - 18th September
The Full Council Meeting will take place Monday 18th September, 7pm at the Guildhall The full council…