Deputy Mayor's Robes
Councillors Robes - The current fifteen navy blue Councillor's robes were purchased by the Mayor of Ludlow, Councillor M Taylor-Smith from his Mayor's Allowance in 2009/10.
Town Clerk's Robes & Wig
The Town Clerk traditionally wears black robes and a wig of office, the current robes were purchased in ???
Sergeant at Arms and Mace Bearers Robes and Hats
The Sergeant at Arms and Mace Bearer traditionally wear black robes of office with a black top hat, the current robes and hat were purchased in ???
Old Robes, Hats and Wigs - Mayor's, Cllrs
Following the purchase of new robes, hats and wigs the old Mayor's, Deputy Mayor's and Town Clerk's robes were donated to Ludlow Museum and Resource Centre to be preserved for future generation to view. The old Councillor's robe and hats were donated to Ludlow College Drama Department for use as costumes for their future performances.
The Parade Marshall leads the parade to and from church at Remembrance Sunday, Mayor's Sunday and other Civic Events. The parade consists of many organisations including the Royal British Legion, Cadets, Scouts and Brownies, Police, St John's Ambulance etc. The Parade Marshall does not currently have any ceremonial dress but as they are often a member or ex-member of the armed forces or part of the military cadets a military uniform is often worn.
A William III silver mace, the head surmounted by a Royal Crest with orb finial, in the centre a disc chased with the Arms of William Rex, the sides having crowned devices of the parts of the Kingdom interspaced with female busts with 'WR' and 'MR' alternately, the staff chased foliate scrolls, the two bun knobs with acanthus, the semi-spherical base with foliate borders and engraved 'D.D. Johanns Salwey Armiger Unns Ex Alderinanis Villae De Ludlow 1692', London assay 1692, maker's mark 'RC' in dotted circle, see Jacksons page 139, 40" high overall. while the large mace was given by John Salwey in 1692
A pair of James II maces of similar form and design to the former, the heads having devices of the Kingdom alternate with female busts and repeating 'IR', the staves are double knopped and foliate engraved, semi-spherical bases, maker's mark 'FG' only stamped on the heads, 28.5" high, generally restored in places. Purchased by subscription in 1685. The crowns were added in 1810. The two small maces date from the visit of James II to the town in 1687
Mayor of Ludlow, Councillor J Aitken, used his Mayor's Allowance in 2012 to purchase three Mace stands for the Town Council. These oak stands were designed and made by Treasure and Son Ltd of Ludlow.
Chains of Office
Mayor's Chain - Of silver-gilt and enamel, the badge formed as the arms of the Borough surmounted by the Prince of Wales' Feathers and motto "Ich Dien" within a strapwork cartouche pendant from a closely linked chain (97 links), each prevented from overlapping the other by a smaller link of knopped form, the reverse of the badge engraved "To the Corporation of Ludlow from George H.W. Windsor-Clive, M.P. for the Borough 1860 to 1885". The chain was presented on the 24th December 1885.
Mayoress' Chain - Of silver-gilt and enamel, the Arms of the Borough surmounted by the Prince of Wales' Feathers (the coronet lacking) in silver and silver-gilt on a blue enamelled ground, all in a border containing the raised inscription "The Mayor and Corporation, Ludlow". The reverse engraved "Thomas Roberts, Esquire, Mayor from November 9th, 1879 to November 9th, 1881". 3" diameter.
Deputy Mayor's Chain - The current chain was created in 2016 by Thomas Fattorini Ltd, to compliment the Mayor's Chain.
Past Mayor and Mayoress Badges - In past years Mayors at the end of their term of office were presented with Past Mayors badges. This tradition was reinstated by Full Council in 20??, the badges were produced by ??? to mirror the pendant on the Mayor's Chain and are now presented to each outgoing Mayor at the Mayor Making Ceremony.
The Corporate Plate which is displayed at the annual Mayor Making ceremony contains some fine examples of the silversmith’s art. The original plate was given to Charles I to be melted down during the Civil War, so that the earliest pieces now remaining are two small silver tankards donated in 1677 and 1680. In the past it was customary for new members to present the Corporation a silver spoon, but on occasions the gifts were much more elaborate, such as the silver snuff and tobacco boxes.
Records show that by the 1590's Ludlow had accumulated a considerable amount of plate, much of it donated by members. In 1600 it was resolved that all new Councillors should 'deliver to the Corporation one Spooneof silver weyinge twoo ounces', and from time to time these were melted down to make salts, cups and other items.
Plate - A silver gilt salver, the border cast with rococo scrolls, vines, beasts and flowers, the entre engraved presentation commemorative inscription dated November 1901 which reads "Presented to The Mayor and Corporation of Ludlow by H.D. Green Esq., K.C., M.P., Recorder, in commemoration of the Accession of His Majesty King Edward VII, The Commencement of the Century and the Extension of the Borough, November 1901." and on the reverse the names of the Mayor, Aldermen, Councillors with Officials, London 1900, makers Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company Limited, 23" diameter.
Tankard - The first item of town plate that can be identified in historical records is a Charles II silver quart tankard of slighly tapering form, with flat cover having a thread rim, cast cork-screw billet, scroll handle, moulded collet foot, the body engraved the Arms of Ludlow in a foliate cartouche, London assay 1676, maker's mark 'T.I', not recorded in Jacksons, 28ozs, 7" high, marked on body, top of cover and handle. "Itt is ordered that the £9 above menconed to be received in lieu off Sylver spoones be pd and nowe layed out by Mr. John Bowdler in a sylver Tankard off about that value with the Towne armes engraved thereupon."
Tankard - A Charles II silver quart tankard of circular tapering form with flat covers, moulded and thread engraved borders, cast cork-screw billet, scroll handle, moulded foot, the body engraved the Arms of Ludlow with a helmet and porcupine crest in a foliate manteling, Ludlow above and below 'Ex Dona Somersett Fox Armigeri' London assay 1680, maker's mark 'CK' with a pellet below, see Jacksons page 137, 34ozs, 7.75" high, marked on body, top of cover and handle. Donated by Somersett Fox Esq. of Cainham upon election as Town Clerk 1680. "1680. December 11th. This day Somersett Fox, Esqr. is elected Towne Clerke of this Corporation. This day a Silver Tankerd was given to the Corporation by Somersett Fox, Esqr. with the Towne Armes upon it, weighing Thirty-five ounces."
Tankards x2 - A pair of George I large covered tankards, the domed covers with lip covers, engraved the badge of the Prince of Wales, having cast lion couchant mounts, the circular tapering bodies fitted an applied girdle on moulded collet foot, scroll handles with heart finial, the bodies engraved the Arms of Ludlow in a foliate cartouche and 'Ludlow 1718', London 1718, Britannia Standard, maker Humphrey Payne (son of a Ludlow Corporation member), 125ozs, marked on bodies, handles and inside covers, scratch weight marked 64ozs, 11.5" high overall. The two large silver tankards, Jeroboam and Rehoboam, were made for the Corporation in 1718, when there were valued at £20 apiece.
Salvers x2 - 1718 makers's mark of Humphrey Payne. One of a pair, short foot, plain dish. engraved with the town arms and the Prince of Wales' feathers, and inscribed 'Ludlow 1718'. In 1718, all the corporation plate of Ludlow, with the exception of two tankards, was handed over to the London goldsmith, Humphrey Payne, with instructions that it should be converted into two tankards of the value of £20 each, and two salvers, of the value of £15 each. A pair of George I silver footed salvers, with moulded rims, incurved stems, plain with the Arms of Ludlow in foliate cartouche, the badge of the Prince of Wales above, 'Ludlow 1718' below, Londn assay 1718, Britannia Standard, maker Humphrey Payne, see Jacksons page 167, 98ozs, marked on tops and inside foot rims, 14" diameter.
Snuff-Boxes x2 - No date letter, dated 1721; makers mark of Humphrey Payne. A pair of plain oval boxes. The top finely engraved with the town arms within an elaborate cartouche; on the side, Latin inscription recording gift in 1721 by William Cowley, citizen of London. A pair of George I oval table tobacco boxes, the covers engraved the Arms of Ludlow with the badge of the Prince of Wales in a foliate manteling, the sides engraved ' In Usum Ballivorum Villae De Ludlow Ex Dono Gulielmi Cowley Civis Londinensis, AD 1721', London 1721, maker Humphrey Payne, 17ozs, 5" wide, marked inside boxes and covers and on sides. Given to the Corporation by William Cowley citizen of London upon his admittance as a Honourary Burgess of the Corporation.
Cup - A silver sports trophy with beaded rim to knop and base, engraved 'Ludlow Swimming Challenge Cup, 1896' with winners from 1896 to 1914, 1931 and 1932, London 1896, 18ozs, 11.75" high.
Ludlow Road Safety Committee - F.G. Edwards Cup - Little is known about this cup other than its inscription, we would be very interested in any information anyone may have on the orgins of the cup and how it made its way into the Council's possession.
Trowel - A Victorian silver triangular shaped trowel with ivory handle, cast scroll mounts, engraved the Arms of Ludlow with the Prince of Wales feathers in a foliate cartouche, Sheffield 1863, maker John Round and Sons, and case. Possible the trowel used on the occassion of the laying of the foundation stone of the Town Hall.
Spade - A silver spade with mother-of-pearl haft, engraved presentation inscription dated 1905, 5.5" high, not hall marked. "Presented to Henry Lloyd, Esq., Mayor of Ludlow on his planting the Windsor-Clive Oak Tree, 9th November, 1905."
Tipstaff - A tipstaff of brass with rosewood handle, circa 1750. The head pierced in the form of a Royal crown, with plain shaft below and plain hardwood grip. "Returned to the Mayor of the day by Thomas W. Shaw of Culmington Manor, Craven Arms, January 17th, 1916, together with the accompanying letter, in which Mr. Shaw states that this is one of the Ludlow tipstaffs".
Seals - A collection of seven brass hand seals of Ludlow Town Council and Ludlow Town Clerks Office with differing imprints, three with ivory handles, two with wooden handles and two in brass, 18th and 19th century.
St Malo Cup - The origins of this cup are currently unknow to the Council, as at some point the plaque on the base has gone missing, though it is believed that it may be linked to Ludlow's twinned town of La Ferte Mace in France which is not far from the port of St Malo. Ludlwo Town Council would be very grateful to receive any information about the St Malo Cup and its history.
These were formally the property of Ludlow Borough Corporation and were carried on official occasions by the major office holders. From 1461, when the Corporation was formally constituted, until 1835, when it was replaced by a Borough Council, the major office holders - all elected annually - were:-
The High Bailiff, one of the 12 Aldermen, elected by his fellow Aldermen
The Low Bailiff, one of the 25 Common Councillors, elected by the whole Corporation
The Capital Justices, who were automatically the out-going Bailiffs.
The High Bailiff, the Low Bailiff, and the Capital Justices were the Borough magistrates and took it in turns - two at a time - to preside at the town court.
The Coroner, elected by the whole Corporation from the 25, who presided at the coroner’s court (advised by the Town Clerk).
The Chamberlain, elected by the whole Corporation from the 25, who had responsibility for streets, bridges, sewers, buildings, etc.
The Aulnager, elected by the whole Corporation from the 25, who was responsible for the quality of cloth produced in Ludlow. However ,after the abrupt decline of cloth manufacture in Ludlow after 1600 this became a largely ceremonial office.
The Corporation employed a large number of full-time or part-time officials, including:
The Town Clerk, always a professional lawyer
Three Mace Bearers, one to assist each bailiff, the third, called The Common Sergeant, to assist them both; in time, the Common Sergeant became the senior office.
Three Beadles, one of whom was Warden of Hosier’s Almshouses.
A Town Crier.
It is not certain which of these carried the staffs, but the Bailiffs, the Coroner and the Town Crier certainly did, excluding the Mace Bearers, who carried the maces, it is suspected that all the other officials had staffs, giving a total of 12, of which seven now survive.
No account for the acquisition of the staffs has survived but it is likely that this was in the late 17th or early 18th centuries, just after the maces had been presented and when the Corporation was anxious to give itself a high profile, following an unsuccessful attempt in the early 1680’s by the Crown to diminish its authority.
It is not known when the use of the staffs was discontinued but early 20th century photographs show that one staff was then being carried, probably by a uniformed person who was probably the Town Crier.
David Lloyd, Mayor of Ludlow 1988-89, 16th November 1995
2 staves (numbers 1 and 3 late eighteenth or early nineteeth century with green paint work) and town criers stave (thinner victorian blue painted) donated to Ludlow Museum in 1997
Transferred to Shropshire Archives in 2008, available to view by appointment.
James VI and I
William and Mary
Arms - Azure, a lion couchant guardant between three roses all argent
Crest - On a wreath argent and azure, a porcupine quarterley gold and azure. Recorded at the College of Arms.
Formerly the headquarters of the Welsh March, Ludlow displays the white rose and white lion of the Mortimers, Earl of March. From teh Mortimers the Yorkist Plantagenets derived their legitimist title to the throne, together with the white rose by which they symbolised it. The arms recall that it was at Ludlow that Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York, met the Earls of Salisbury and Warwick in 1459, to begin the campaign which resulted in his death at Wakefield in the following year.
The porcupine was probably derived from the crest of Sir Henry Sidney, President of the Welsh March, who died in Ludlow in 1586. The Sidney porcupine is blue with gold quills, collar and chain.
Oak wall panel, framed into 5 arched crest containing a shield with The Arms of Ludlow painted in colours, the panel headed in gilt "Mayors of the Borough of Ludlow" some historical details of the Borough, the names and dates of service of over 100 mayors from 1835 to 2017 (98" x 65.5")
Theophilus John Salwey (1877-1927) Clerk of the Peace (by Julia B Folkard 1849-1933) presented by the Salwey Family
William III - School of Kneller, oil on canvas, three quarter length portrait of William III in his Coronation robes, wearing The Order of the Garter, his left hand resting on his sword, the Crown rests on a table to his left (48" x 39.5", gilt frame with foliate mouldings). Presented by the Salwey Family.
Oliver Cromwell - 17th century contemporary copy of a painting by Robert Walker (1607-1660), oil on canvas, half length portrait of Oliver Cromwell, The Lord Protector, almost full face, wearing a white shirt under his armour (28" x 24") contemporary foliate carved gilt wood frame. Gift from Mr H.D. Greene K.C.
Guildhall Clock and Panels of Stained Glass
Removed from the former St Clement's Inn (Clifford's Inn), Chancery Lane, London and placed in the Guildhall by then Recorder of Ludlow Mr H.D. Greene K.C. late M.P. for Shrewsbury who presented them to the town of Ludlow. The arms are the Royal Arms (probably presented to the Inn by one of the Stuart Kings), and those of Sir John Bridgman (elected Recorder of Ludlow in 1626 and Vice-President of the Marches of Wales and lies buried in St John's Chapel , in the parish Church), the great and infamous Judge Jeffreys (a Burgess of Ludlow) and Mr Greene himself.
Lower Broad Street - Oliver Baker
The Mayoral Chair, oak, high back with roundel inset a shield with The Arms of Ludlow in colours, carved foliate crest and 3 Prine of Wales festhers to each shoulder, padded panel and seat in hide, the arms with foliate terminals, square braced underframe, affixed a plate to the back "Presented to the Mayor and Corporation of Ludlow, 12th July 1939 by E.T. Evans Esq., JP, Mayor of Ludlow 1911-13.
An oak cased mantel clock, metal mounts, turned finials, 8-day striking movement with hours and half hours on two gongs by Lenzkirch, brass dial, silvered chapter ring, cast spandrels, 19" high.
Castle Gardens –
The fountain was presented to the Town by former Mayor George Woodhouse in 1908. Grade II Listed
The cast iron fountain was made by Glenfield & Kennedy, Kilmarnock (the "Hygenic Fountain") - Approx 8 feet high; 4 sided with basins; spigots from plates with lions heads; finial with trident and 2 entwined dolphins. The plinth at the bottom reads – presented by George Woodhouse, Mayor of Ludlow 1908 and (illegible)....”
There was a second plaque with a second Mayoral terms of office but this is missing and no information is available.
Situated outside the entrance of Ludlow Castle, Shropshire, England, this 8 foot high cast iron fountain rests on a rectangular plinth. The multi tiered rectangular column has a square base with chamfered corners.
Quatrefoil basins extend from the rectangular pedestal which contains four panels with bulrush relief and lions’ heads. A multi-level acroter has a terminal of two dolphins intertwined around a trident.
On one side there is a plaque below the lion’s head containing the words, Glenfield & Kennedy Co. / Kilmarnock / Hygienic Fountain; which recognizes the later conversion of the pump mechanism to deliver water. The actual structure of the drinking fountain was cast by Coalbrookdale Company.
The fountain was presented by George Woodhouse, Mayor of Ludlow from 1907 – 1911. A metal plaque on the lower part of the structure is engraved: Presented By/ George Woodhouse/ Mayor Of Ludlow 1908 AD.
It was listed a grade II historic building in 1993.
This sculpture does not have a name, but it was made by blind artist Seren Thomas, who lives in the town. This is placed in the Castle Gardens (which is outside Ludlow Castle) and this sculpture was made around the 1990s.