Project Development


 

We would like to take this opportunity to explain some of the things we have been doing, and also things we will be doing.

 

Town Walls

Ludlow Town Council concluded tripartite discussions with Shropshire Council and St Laurence’s Parochial Church Council with a newly acquired maintenance responsibility for Ludlow Town Walls at St Laurence’s Church. Ludlow Town Council has since taken up its responsibility, and has been working with the Morton Partnership Ltd, who were are appointed by the Town Council to advise on the repairs of the section of Town Wall to the North of St Laurence Churchyard.

 

The Morton Partnership have compiled a three stage process for the delivery of the repairs to the town wall.

 

We have reached the conclusion of Stage 1 scoping, and are now entering stage two, which is the implementation of:

 

  • Cores through Walls
  • Scaffold access for cores
  • Additional Ecological Surveys
  • Historic Environment Desk Based Study
  • Additional Archaeological work
  • Measured Survey and Recording
  • Materials Testing
  • Arboriculture Report
  • Appointment of Lead Consultant and Structural Engineer
  • Quantity Surveyor

 

Ludlow Town Council believes the most expedient and cost effective way to fund £35,550.00 stage two works is through a Public Works Loan Board loan. The interest rate is fixed at 1.96% over the term of the loan.  

 

The evidence gathered at Stage 2 will enable the final Stage 3 tendering and undertaking repairs. Funding for this stage will be discussed with Historic England, and the Town Council will keep residents informed.

 

 

The Guildhall

The Town Council has worked with Conservation Architect, Philip Belchere from Hook Mason and local heritage conservation firm Treasure & Son to ensure the essential works to the Grade I listed building would have a significant and positive impact on the historic Guildhall. 

 

The Guildhall emerged from its scaffolding in July after the much needed refurbishment of the grade I listed building's roof gullies, lead work, front door and windows. Internally lime plaster ceilings have been repaired, and the newly reclaimed office space at the Guildhall has been welcomed by staff.

 

The historic Guildhall was originally the Palmers' Guildhall, a timber aisled hall built in the late 14th Century.   The interior of the Guildhall is mostly the original intact 14th Century hall with its original roof with slanting cusped queen posts. The building is still supported by the original timber structure, although TF Pritchard encased the building in brick in circa 1768.

After the 1768 alterations, the building now consists of two storeys and is made up of brick, ashlar plinth and features a plain tile roof. The window sashes feature ‘Gothick’ glazing in pointed heads which are underneath brick pointed arches and four feature heraldic lights. There is a parapet with stone coping, a moulded stone cornice and brick modillion. The door case is Gothic in style and features triple shafts and a frieze with quatrefoils which was added in the alterations of 1768.


The Guildhall was Ludlow Magistrates Court until 2011. The interior of the building featured two courtrooms; Court One a Late 18th Century panelled courtroom with accompanying fittings. There was a raised bench, a witness box and a dock. There were framed paintings of the Royal Arms of George II and the Coat of Arms of the Prince of Wales above the judicial bench.   Ludlow Town Council took up residence at the 600 year old Guildhall in 2012.

 

New Projects

The Linney Riverside Park

Ludlow Town Council’s Services Committee are considering a programme of improvements for the popular family-friendly Linney Riverside Park.

 

The first stage of proposed programme of improvement is the overdue refurbishment of the existing toilets. This first stage is expected to take place in early 2019 and to be funded from the Council’s earmarked reserves.

 

Further stages of the project that are under consideration are:

  • The reinstatement of the facilities for a boating, and pitch and putt.
  • Improved seating and catering facilities for simple drinks and snacks.

 

 

Long Term Projects

Bus Shelter in Corve Street

 

Ludlow Town Council are in the final discussions with Shropshire Council to agree Highways approval and partial funding for a bus shelter outside Halden House in Corve Street.  

 

The site has been an ongoing topic of discussion for councillors with many different options being considered, but the difficulties of the limited size of the site have proved to be a sticking point.

 

Ludlow Town Council believes it has tracked down a style of shelter that will be robust and comply with Highways legislation regarding the safe minimum width of pavement.   If approved by Highways, the shelter will have an integral timetable holder and bus stop signage. More information will follow.